5/16/14

Eye-candy @ Galvin at Windows

Perched on the 28th Floor of the Hilton Park Lane, Galvin at Windows promises - arguably, one of the best views of London on offer. With Hyde Park at one corner, the Thames at the next, and the City skyline edging in between - the establishment gives new meaning to the phrase 'eye candy'. Their floor-to-ceiling windows help lighten up the chic art-deco interior. But does their food match up? 


I visited on a very busy weekday afternoon. With a michelin star under their belt, I had high expectations. The service was courteous, considering the fact the staff seemed to have a lot on their hands. I would admit, the number of diners then made me feel a bit like I was in a department store cafe. But  as I snacked on my warm bread and creamy French butter, my expectations remained high as I eagerly awaited my entrée.


May entrée of Teriyaki-cured salmon, Avocado, Pickled kohlrabi and apple had arrived promptly, and certainly did not disappoint. The contrastingly different flavours of the fish and teriyaki sauce provided a vibrance to the palate, which was subdued with the richness of the avocado. The apple and kohlrabi seemed a bit out of place with me, but did not serve to make anything worse either. So no complaints.


This was followed by a Braised lamb belly, féve, Charlotte pomme écrasée & herb lamb jus; undoubtedly the star of the show. The lamb belly was as tender as tender could be, and the crushed potatoes stuck the ideal balance between mash and chunk. The carrots and broad beans were cooked wonderfully, with all elements of the dish subtly brought together with the herb lamb jus. Bravo!


Desert consisted of a Baked egg custard, Rhubarb compote, Chocolate foam and Honeycomb. It sounded incredible on the menu - and the sweetness of the custard, tartness of the rhubarb, and bitterness of the chocolate encapsulated every flavor a great dessert should possess, but I thought it lacked a bit of texture despite the crunchy honeycomb, and required a more eye-catching presentation.


To finish off, I ordered myself a decent cuppa which was accompanied by some delicious  Chocolate and cloud-like Marshmallows - some of the best I've had. I was tempted to nick all of them back home with me, but resisted the temptation. Our bill per person had came up to about £40 per person, and  by the end I was simply too full for words.


Galvin at Windows certainly proved to have matched my expectations, and I enjoyed my experience there. It makes for a great place to take someone special to for an intimate meal or a dear friend coming visiting London, as you immerse yourself in culinary finesse whilst soaking up some lovely views. Just head on over when there aren't as many people there, so that you can appreciate the atmosphere even more.


Address: 28th Floor, Hilton Park Lane, 22 Park Lane, London W1K 1BE, United Kingdom


Presentation: 7/10

Ambiance: 7/10

Service: 7.5/10

Overall Taste: 8/10

General Impression: 7.5/10


________________________________________________________________________


Cheers,

BrianandRepublic

0 comments:

Post a Comment